Thursday, July 8, 2010

Downpour!

Guess what?  It rained again! Surprise, surprise.  Wednesday morning, we got a downpour for about 30 minutes right at the beginning of the day, during the CSA harvest.  Some of us were in the peas, some in the lettuce, but all of us got solidly drenched.  I don't believe I've ever worked in such a steady rain.  My otherwise waterproof boots were squishy within 5 minutes.  But we pressed on, and got a good harvest this week.

The CSA share this week included snap peas, beans, shell peas, sprouts, lettuce, fennel, summer squash, kohlrabi, radishes, and a big bunch of basil.  The fennel was the best we've ever grown, according to Claire and Jake, and I have to agree based on what I saw last year.  See, the rain is good for something!  The basil bunches were lush, begging to be made into pesto.  And each member got a nice pound bag of shell peas to take home, the last peas of the season.  It's beans from here on.  

I left after the harvest, so I'm not sure how the rest of the crew spent the afternoon.  The hard rain would have made it difficult to do much.  The ground was instantly soft and muddy, and trellising tomatoes after rain is just a bad idea if you want to prevent disease.  I guess I'll find out on Friday.

Here are some more pictures from field tour this week.  Some crops we've harvested, some aren't ready.

Onions:

Hungarian Wax Peppers: 


Sweet Potatoes: 


Mint:


Chard:



No comments:

Post a Comment