Monday, April 26, 2010

The Transplant Dance begins!

Today was my first day in the field.  We unloaded a monster hay bale pile first thing in the morning.  That got the blood moving!  Claire gave us a short orientation and we headed out to plant brassicas. Specifically, several varieties of kale and broccoli.  

Transplanting takes many steps.  We all tried our hand at: setting up the beds, placing compost, watering the compost, setting starter plants, planting them, and then covering the entire bed with floating row cover to protect the young plants from flea beetles.  We even mulched some of the plants with the aforementioned hay.  All in all, it was a productive day.  We set about 600 kale plants and 1200 broccoli plants.  Suffice to say my body aches a bit.  But I feel pretty good otherwise.  I must remember to drink more water.  That seemed to be my only real problem today.

No comments:

Post a Comment